We may live miles away from any tigers, but our everyday living can have huge impacts on them and other species across the world.
Small and simple lifestyle changes can make a big difference, not just to tigers but to all of us:
- Minimise harmful deforestation by avoiding products that contain palm oil or wood products without an FSA-accreditation.
- Save energy by switching off your lights, turning down your heating and never leaving electrical equipment on standby. Only boil the amount of water you need for your cups of tea and use rechargeable batteries.
- Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. Reduce your carbon footprint by consuming less resources and using less energy. Avoid unnecessary packaging and get things fixed rather than throwing it away and buying something new. Never buy bottled water – buy a reusable bottle and fill up at the tap. Reuse clothes by buying from charity shops and swapping old unwanted items with friends. Invest in a reusable bag and say no to plastic. Recycle your rubbish and why not start a compost heap!
- Cycle or walk short journeys rather than using the car and avoid air travel where possible.
- Buy local seasonal produce rather than products that have been shipped in from abroad.
Images © Roger Hooper